A new favorite! Perfect for summer picnics!
Quoting Mark Bittman, The New York Times/Cooking:
It’s not an immediately obvious combination – watermelon, cucumber, olives and feta – but one bite will leave you convinced that this savory-sweet summer salad is something truly special. The astringent punch of the olives and feta provides a sophisticated counterpoint to the watery mellowness of the melon and cucumber. With a hunk of bread, it’s a lovely light lunch; with practically any grilled meat or fish, it’s an ideal summer supper.
I served it with grilled wild salmon and grilled chicken breasts with Harissa.
- 3 cups cubed watermelon
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1 medium cucumber
- 1 small red onion
- ⅓ cup pitted kalamata olives
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta (I used goat cheese.)
- Some chopped parsley and mint
- Olive oil and red-wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- In a large bowl combine 3 cups cubed watermelon; 2 large ripe tomatoes, chopped; 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped; 1 small red onion, sliced; 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives; 1/3 cup crumbled feta; and some chopped parsley and mint. Drizzle with olive oil and red-wine vinegar, sprinkle with salt and pepper, toss and serve.
If you are looking for beautiful portrait, nature, or documentary photography, or someone you know is looking for photography that helps to create a more artful and beautiful life, please contact me.