For days Susan pleaded with me to make this recipe–Potato Curry, also called Aloo Masala. I made a few changes to the recipe from Nosheen Babar and they are noted below. It is delicious!
I also made curried turkey meatballs and sauté bok choy in olive oil with garlic and red pepper flakes.
At first I was thinking the meatballs would be a side dish to the curry.
But Susan said why not add the meatballs and bok choy to the potato curry? And I did.
- 6 potatoes
- 4 tomatoes (I used a can of diced tomatoes.)
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp carom seeds (I substituted thyme.)
- 1 tsp ginger paste (I ginger powder.)
- 1 tsp garlic paste (I used garlic powder.)
- 2 whole red dried chilies (I Used red pepper flakes.)
- 2 tsp amchur powder (I used lemon juice.)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- 10 curry leaves (I used lemon zest.)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- Boil the potatoes till they are cooked through (Knife slides in easily).
- Cool them enough to peel them and then loosely break them into clumps with your hands.
- Quarter the tomatoes and cook them with a little water till they are soft, then mash them to get a thick puree and set them aside for later.
- Heat the oil and add the ginger and garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add the cumin and carom seeds and saute them for about 30 seconds.
- Add the potatoes and saute them for 1 minute.
- Add the tomato puree, the salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder and coriander powder along with 1 cup of water and mix well together. Cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Uncover, mash the potatoes a bit (you want some whole pieces of potato and some mashed)
- Add the curry leaves, the whole dried red chilies and the amchur powder, cover and simmer for another 5-10 minutes (depending on your stove and how much water you have left.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve.
Note: I didn’t follow the instructions word for word as I substituted many ingredients. I simply added most of the ingredients to the diced tomatoes.
Here are the turkey meatballs cooking. I added the same spice to them that I added to the potato curry.