To go with the Easter ham, I made these Spicy Baked Beans. A spicy version of an American classic.
This was my wife’s idea and I am very grateful. She said, “Bruce what are you making to bring to Eleanor’s” (her sister-in-law). “Not sure,” I said. And Susan said, “How about some baked beans to go with the ham she is making?”
The best baked beans!!!
- 8-10 slices bacon, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper and 1/2 green pepper diced
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 cans pork and beans, not drained
- 2 cans kidney beans, drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cook and stir bacon in a large skillet or large cast iron post over medium-high until crisp. Remove bacon. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons bacon fat. Stir onion, celery, red and green peppers into the rendered fat until tender. About 6-10 minutes.
- Stir baked beans, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and other sauce ingredients, including bacon. Stir. Pour the mixture into a 13×9-inch baking dish. (I used one large cast iron pot from the beginning.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the liquid has thickened and is hot and bubbly, about 35 to 45 minutes.
If you are looking for beautiful portrait, wedding, nature, or documentary photography, or someone you know is looking for photography that helps to create a more artful and beautiful life, please contact me. Photography and Prints meant to last a lifetime! For more details about having an amazing and fun photo experience, please contact me.