|Photo by Bruce Barone.|
1 California chile (I used a Jalapeno from my garden.)
2 very rip avocados
1 1/2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (I used a bit more.)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and coarsely chopped (I did not peel them.)
2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro
1. To peel chile, place on broiler pan and broil approximately 6 inches from heat until blackened on all side. Use tongs to turn chile. NOTE: I used my grill outside.
2. Put chile in a plastic bag and close tightly. Let rest for 10 minutes.
3. Remove chile from bag, drain and peel off skin. Make a slit in chile and open it up. Core, cut off stem, scrape off seeds and ribs and coarsely chop.
4. In a medium bowl, mash avocado flesh with fork until soft and pureed. (I leave some chunks in it.)
5. Add lemon juice, onion, chile, cumin and salt and mix to combine. Gently mix in tomatoes and cilantro.