Skip to content
- 4 large leeks, halved lengthwise, cleaned and sliced crosswise 1/4-inch thick
- 2/3 cup plus 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/4 teaspoons coarse kosher salt, more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can Goya Small White Beans, drained
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chile flakes
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup Whole Grain Bulgur Wheat
- 1/2 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves and tender stems
- 1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. Using a large rimmed baking sheet, toss leeks with 1/4 cup oil, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Spread leeks out in a single layer (use a second baking sheet if necessary) and roast, tossing frequently, until golden brown and crisp at the edges, about 20 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss leeks with beans, 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, chile flakes and garlic. Stir in 2/3 cup oil. Let marinate while you prepare the Bulgur.
- 3. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook Bulgur until tender, about 15 minutes. Drain well. Toss with bean mixture. Stir in currants and celery leaf. Taste and add more salt or lemon if needed. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Based on a recipe from The New York Times: Farro Salad with Leeks, Chickpeas and Currants
- I served this with Apple Chicken Sausage.