- 3 large or 6 medium beets
- 3/4 cup walnuts
- 6 cups torn greens, one type or an assortment
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- Heat the oven to 400. Wash the beets, and while they are still wet, wrap them individually in foil. Put them on a rimmed baking sheet and cook, undisturbed, until you can pierce them easily with a thin-bladed knife, 60 to 90 minutes. Once the beets have cooled, peel them (I like to rub the skin off under running water), and cut them into chunks.
- Put the walnuts in a dry skillet over medium heat and cook, shaking the pan frequently, until fragrant and beginning to darken, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rinse and dry the greens and put them in a large bowl; add the walnuts. Combine the oil, vinegar, shallot and Dijon in a jar with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Screw the lid on tightly and shake vigorously until the dressing becomes thick and creamy. Taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Pour some of the dressing onto the greens and toss to coat; pile the greens on 4 plates. Put the beets in the bowl, toss with some of the dressing and arrange them on top of or around the greens. Crumble the goat cheese on top, and serve.
- 4 servings