So light and delicious!
Active Time: 15 minutes Total Time: 1 hour Serves: 6
- 4 large eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 cup sugar
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ pound carrots, finely grated
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1 heaping tablespoon self-rising flour
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Crème fraîche, for serving
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8-by-8-inch cake pan with parchment paper. Use an electric mixer to beat egg yolks, sugar, orange zest and vanilla until very pale, thick and creamy, 5 minutes.
2. Stir carrots and both flours into yolk mixture until fully incorporated.
3. In a clean mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat egg whites until stiff. Fold whites into yolk-flour mixture until no streaks of white remain. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until cake is well risen and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, 40-45 minutes.
4. Remove cake from oven and let cool in pan. Turn out onto a platter. Dust cake with confectioners’ sugar. Serve with a generous dollop of crème fraîche.
For dinner I served Miso Scallops with Butternut Squash Farro Rissoto (Based on a recipe from Panzano Restaurant in Denver.)