- 9 ounces macaroni (I used Barilla Mostaccioli)
- 4–6 ounces white cheddar (shredded)
- About 2 cups of broccoli florets
- 2 teaspoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 slices bacon (roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons bourbon
- 3/4 cup half and half
- black pepper
- Parmesan and bread crumbs for topping
- Boil the macaroni for one minute less than what the package directions say. Add broccoli florets for last 2 minutes.
- In a bowl, toss half the cheese with the drained macaroni.
- Add the bacon to a pan and fry over medium heat until it is crisp. Pour out grease leaving about 1–2 tablespoons. Add chopped bacon to macaroni.
- Add 1 tablespoon of bourbon to deglaze the pan and then add the half and half.
- Heat the mixture until small bubbles form around the edges (but it is not boiling). Add half the cheese, whisking continuously to incorporate until melted. Add bourbon, turmeric and flour, continuing to whisk.
- Add the sauce to the macaroni. And mix thoroughly.
- Place macaroni in buttered ovenware, top with bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Bake for 20–30 minutes at 400 degrees until top is lightly brown and crispy.
Based on a recipe from PBS Food, Marc Matsumoto .