Out of this world!
The recipe called for chicken, which I did have, but I left it out of this as I wanted to save the chicken for chicken salad. I also added some herbs from my garden: Oregano, Cilantro, and Basil.
- 6 ounces uncooked large or regular elbow macaroni (I used whole wheat.)
- 3 cups prechopped broccoli florets (I used fresh.)
- 3 bacon slices, coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1 cup unsalted chicken stock (such as Swanson) (I used homemade.)
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 5 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 1. Preheat broiler to high.
- 2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Add broccoli to pan during last 2 minutes of cooking. Drain.
- 3. While pasta cooks, place bacon in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat; cook 4 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove bacon from pan with a slotted spoon; reserve 1 1/2 teaspoons drippings in pan. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Add chicken to drippings in pan; cook 4 minutes. Sprinkle with garlic; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle with turmeric; cook 30 seconds, stirring frequently.
- 4. Combine remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt, milk, stock, and flour, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to pan; bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Cook 2 minutes or until thickened. Add pasta mixture and 2 ounces cheese; toss to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 3 ounces cheese and bacon. Broil 2 minutes or until cheese melts and just begins to brown.
Susan and I sat outside in our backyard enjoying this today, exclaiming a few times, \”WOW.\”
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana (about 2 large bananas)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped macadamia nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons flaked sweetened coconut
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray; line bottom of pan with wax paper. Coat wax paper with cooking spray.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl, stirring with a whisk. Combine banana and next 5 ingredients (banana through egg) in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed for 1 minute or until well blended. Add flour mixture to banana mixture, and beat until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Carefully peel off wax paper.
- Combine brown sugar, water, and butter in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in nuts and coconut. Spread over cake. Serve cake warm.