This was my first time cooking short ribs and I must say I can’t wait to cook them again!
I made this on Sunday, the day before my birthday; a prebirthday celebration. Here I am stirring the vegetables!
2 pounds boneless short ribs
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4 inch piece
2 carrots, cut in 1/4 inch pieces
3-4 garlic cloves, minced
1+ cup wine
2 cups stock
2 heaping tablespoons tomato paste
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Dredge beef in flour seasoned with salt in pepper. Shake off excess flour.
3. Heat dutch oven over high heat. Add oil.
4. Brown beef till all sides are dark golden brown. Remove beef and set aside.
5. Add onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Reduce heat and saute till vegetables start to turn brown.
6. Add wine and reduce by half (I used 2 cups of wine.).
7. Add stock, tomato paste, bay leaf, thyme and rosemary.
8. Return beef to dutch oven. Cover tightly and put in oven.
9. Cook for about two hours or more or until beef is tender but not completely falling apart.
10. Serve over noodles.
4 thoughts on “Wine Braised Boneless Short Ribs”
We absolutely love short ribs. We made a Michael Chiarello recipe a couple of years ago and we impressed ourselves!! It was the best meal we’ve ever cooked… and I can’t believe we haven’t done it again since!
i love making shortribs – so delicious + surprisingly easy to make. glad they turned out so well + hope you had wonderful pre-birthday + birthday celebrations!
I have never attempted short ribs but Torrie and Amy give me hope. 🙂 I’m going to give it a go. I will let you know how it turns out! Rosemary…yum
Yum- My husband made a short rib recipe using chocolate once- I believe I linked the recipe- I’ll bookmark yours too-